Saturday, March 23, 2013

BrightFarms has a really cool business model

I recently found out about a New York City based company called BrightFarms that has a really cool, unique business model.  They "finance, design, build and operate greenhouse farms at or near supermarkets."  So basically, they're creating hyper-local food sources for various supermarkets.





They're working with McCaffrey's Supermarket in Yardley, PA, which is only about 20 minutes from my house.  I drive by the greenhouses on the way to work every morning.  This is pretty darn exciting to see something like this happening in my area.  I'm planning on moving to north New Jersey, and then to NYC in the next year or two, and I'd love to try to work with BrightFarms.  They're doing great things!

Here's a TED talk from Paul Lightfoot, BrightFarms' CEO.




Can you imagine supermarkets across the country with greenhouses on the roofs?  How cool would that be?



No comments:

Post a Comment